Letters to Jack & Kate 23rd August 1919


Aug 23rd

Dear Kate
Just a line to let you know that I have received your letter. I am pleased to hear that the wedding came off alright and that it is all over. It as been awful hot out hear this month and we have had no rain for a long time. The grapes are just about getting ripe, well in another weeks time they will be getting
[harvesting] them. I hope to be on leave very soon as it will very soon be a year since I was at home. so I think it is time I had one I will let you know as soon s I hear anything about it. I am pleased to hear that they are all keeping well at home. I have been transfered to the Munster Fusiliers now so my proper address and No [Number]will be at the bottom of the letter. Write as often as you can and let me know how you are getting on. What did Annie think to Connie when she went to see her does she get any better. I will write again soon
With Best Love
Harry
Address
408432 Pt Lamin
1st Gar Batt
Royal Munster Fusiliers
A.P.O. Box R L9
I.E.F. Italy




40843
1st Gar. Batt
Royal Munster Fusiliers
A.P.O. Box R. L9
I.E.F. Italy
Aug 23rd

Dear Jack
Just a line to let you known that I am alright and keeping well. I have heard nothing about leave yet but I hope to be home in September sometime, if I have good luck. I am very pleased to know that you found Ethel and Willie well. I have been transferred to the Munsters altogether now, so I have got a fresh No. It as been awful hot out here this month. we have hardly known what to do. The grapes are just about to ripe I expect in another week or so they will be getting them. I am pleased to hear that Annies wedding came off alright and I hope she will be happy. I expect Willie will miss her for a bit but they will have to make the best of it.
With Best Love to you both
Harry


Harry has been officially transferred to The Royal Munster Fusiliers as, I suppose, the rest of his battalion has gone! At that time, a new regiment meant a new service number. Faithful readers may remember that when Harry first went to France he had several service numbers until he settled on the York & Lancaster Regiment. The British Army today assigns a soldier a unique service number when he joins up. That stays with him for the whole of his career. (Mine was 24108071 Sir! - and, 40 years on, I can still remember it)

Three letters in a few days suggests that Harry isn't too busy. BL

4 comments:

Kittybriton said...

Fingers crossed for September leave!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes the good old service number, it's true you never forget it! 22 years on and mine has a new lease of life.....as a handy password for today's electronic age.

Anonymous said...

Interesting - I guess a lot of us use the SN for passwords - and I also use my M14 number as well. I did have to laugh when Bill followed the recitation of his number with "Sir!" Funny that my 1963 USA number had the same number of digits as his BA number - and was actually close to his numerically...
Tom in STL

Sgt Sam Avery said...

Hello Harry:
Glad to hear you are getting on well. Hope the leave comes through soon. Always hard to change units, but Part of the Game. I'm still in hospital and away from the company. Word is that there will be another push soon, but I don't know if I will be part of it. Stop by for a read when you can.

Regards,
Sam