Letter to Jack, 6th August 1919

August 6/1919
32507/9th Y+L
attached Royal Munster Fusiliers
A.P.O. Box R. L.9
I.E.F. Italy
Dear Jack
I was very pleased to received your letter. And to hear that you had a good time when on your holidays. I dont think I should bother any more now about writing as I expect I shall get a leave before Septembers out I might get one any time now, as I have nearly twelve months in, and it is a long time to go without leave especially when then war is over. I expect I shall get out of the army about next spring if all goes well. All the men who joined up before July1st 1916 are getting released from the army as soon as possible, so I expect when this lot is gone. I shall be amongst the next. If I hear anything about a leave I will write and let you know as soon as possible. I am very pleased you paid a visit to Ilkeston and found them well but I hope Annie's face is better. I guess Willie gets a rum chap what had he got to say to you Ethel tells me he gets no better always up to some tricks. he was going to send me a parcel last time Ethel wrote all sorts of things bobbins etc. The weather hear is very hot. I think it is the hottest month of the year. I expect we shall be out of Italy by november. so if that is correct I shall have had two years in Italy quite long enough. Write as often as you can and let me know all the news. I will write again soon.
With Best Love to you both
Harry
(P.S) Address same only
L.9 instead of L.1

Harry seems a bit more optimistic about leave but his prediction of not getting out of the army for another 6 or 7 months isn't so good. We shall see, BL

3 comments:

Sgt Sam Avery said...

Hello Harry:
Just a note to tell you Im alright even tho in the hospital. Closest thing Ive had to a real rest since hitting France. Seems the Hun gave us the gas right up until the end and there are many chaps worse off than I am. Glad to hear you're well. Keep your chin up and stop by for a read when you can.

Regards,
Sam

Greg. Tingey. said...

Some soldiers were, indeed, not "demobbed" until May or June 1920.
Whether Harry was one of these, as you say, we'll have to wait and see.

Kittybriton said...

After being abroad for so long, and the war finished, I'm sure you will be glad to get back to Blighty. I wonder you haven't started making plans to settle in Italy permanently!