2 Letters - 22nd February 1918

Feb 22/2/18
32509/ 9th Batt
York & Lancs Regt.
C Company
12 Platoon L.G.S.
I.E.F.

Dear Kate,
I have received your parcel alright and it is very good. I have had a letter from Jack and one from Ethel I was pleased to hear that they are going on alright and that Jack is quite happy in his married life. Ethel tells me what a rum chap Willie gets and is a very good talker. he can say anything. I should very much like to see him and Connie. They tell me that dad does not get much better but he is getting an old man. I think he will be better as the weather gets warmer, well I hope so. Write back as often as you can and let me now how you are getting on.

With best Love
Harry


Feb 22/2/18
32509/ 9th Batt
York &Lancs Regt.
C Company
12 Platoon L.G.S.
I.E.F.

Dear Jack.
I received your letter yesterday and was very pleased with it. The salmon was alright and tasted a treat. I have seen nothing of the Batt you spoke of out hear, you ask me in your letter last time. I was pleased to hear that they were going on alright a Ilkeston and in good health. I am also feeling well myself. I am glad that you are getting on alright and I wish to be remembered to your wife. Ethel tells me that Willie was quite willing to go back with you last time you went home. he must be a rum chap. Kate as just sent me a cake so I am alright. With best love to you both Write back as soon as possible. Harry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these letters. It's so wonderful to LIVE history through them!

plastic said...

his requests, bordering on desperation, for return letters is very stark

Anonymous said...

I am gaining a better appreciation for what it's like to be away from a loved one for whatever reason, and not to be able to hop on e-mail or a cell phone and let them know what's happening. The pacing and simple humanity of the letters are a lovely lesson in appreciation.

Unknown said...

Poor Harry, he sounds so lonely. I hope he gets some leave some time soon!

Anonymous said...

A comment on plastic's comment "his requests, bordering on desperation, for return letters is very stark": Having been in a somewhat similar situation -- not, I hasten to add, on a front line in a horrendous battle like Harry, just sent to Kabul, Afghanistain, for a long time -- I can confirm that contact with home is a blessing, seems like a miracle. I tried not to put too much pressure on my wife, but she knew how valuable her letters and my occasional phone call were to me. I can just imagine how it was in Harry's day.

Anonymous said...

Harry's letters are timeless and show, even from back then, how important 'letters from home' are for members of the military. Simply wonderful site.

My late grandfather served during WWI, 84th 'Lincoln' Division, but arrived at the last days of the conflict.

USMC Vet 1974-78

The Power of Crystals said...

It's interesting how much of the letters seems devoted to Harry describing to Kate and Jack the news and welfare of other family members and friends. It probably was on Harry's mind a lot; missing them and thinking how they are getting along. That is more consuming in some cases than his own predicament. When I lived in a remote part of Alaska before email I was writing a letter to various friends and family several times a week. It helps you feel close to those you miss.