Letter from Jack to Kate June 1917 - with scan

I have found another letter that is, I am afraid out of time order. It was filed with other material and I didn’t recognise its significance. This letter is from Harry’s brother, Jack to sister Kate. Jack was, at the time, an Anglican Clergyman in Hull in the North of England. Kate was a nurse in London. I have certificates in midwifery and “hygiene” that could well have been a result of the exams mentioned.

It was actually written on the 7th June 1917, the day of the battle of Messines Ridge. I can't help making a link from this peaceful clergyman writing a letter in Hull about his brother, this soldier enduring terrific horrors as that day progesses.

The letter from Harry that Jack refers to is probably the letter of 2nd June.

20 Ryde St
Hull
7th June 1917
Dear Kate

Just a line to let you know that I’ve heard from Harry this morning. He would very much like to hear from you. His address is
Pte H. Lamin
32507
9th Batt
York & Lancashire Regiment
C Company
12th Platoon
B.E.F. France

He is in very good health I am thankful to say.

I hope you will get on all right with your exam. Have you seen the question papers of former years and do you know off by heart the act of parliament you ought to. I see you had another air raid not very far from London. Did you hear anything of it? I am in the best of health although very hard worked. Mr Thomas is very interested in his work in France.
With lots of love
J.E. Lamin

Click on the letter for an enlarged view.
Endsleigh Financial can help with UK mortgages


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! This makes history come alive! For today's young people who cannot see the relevance of history, what a fabulous tool this could be!

Thank you for posting the old pictures on your blog. I love viewing them and seeing those who lived so long ago! I believe the camera was the best invention ever.

I will have to pick up the book you recommended "Birdsong". If you have not read Anne Perry's WWI series, they are well worth the read as well!

2003: No Graves as Yet
2004: Shoulder the Sky: 1915
2006: Angels in the Gloom
2007: March: At Some Diputed Barricade
2007: April: We Shall Not Sleep.

Thank you again for sharing!